“Is there any Significance of Digital Age Verification in This Updated Era?”
The online expansion has provided limitless benefits for common people and businesses. From e-commerce businesses to online cab services, every service is merely one click away. People feel more comfortable purchasing their goods from e-commerce rather than stores. The reason is it gives an ease of remote buying and customers are happy because of it. It is possible for the customer to view, purchase and use everything that is available online.
But this ease is not as much good as it seems, it also has some disadvantages like Kids’ access to age-restricted products and content. To control kids’ entrance into age-restricted websites and businesses a solid digital age verification solution is essential. The demand for online age verification is urgent because the number of online users is continuously rising. There were 4.66 billion online users in Jan 2021, as reported by Statista. Out of this 4.32 billion are using the internet over mobile phones.
Age verification is a procedure of verging users’ or customers’ age to control minors’ penetration. In old times, verification of age is done by the merchant or the shopkeepers manually. He just looks at the customer’s physique and analyzes his age. This was going well, but how correct a human analysis can be. Surely it includes errors and often determines age incorrectly.
As the age restrictions became more stringent, the ways of age verification also evolved. Then verifying age through id cards was introduced, where customers’ age was verified by looking at the dob on the id card. This method was good and sustainable, but how will online businesses foster trust and ensure the prevention of minors.
Ways of Age Verification
Following the COPPA (Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act), FTC (Federal Trade Commission) passed KBA (Knowledge-Based Authentication) for collecting VPC (Verifiable Parental Consent). In KBA multiple questions will be asked to the online users and examine his age through answers. Online businesses are advised to obtain VPC from a user less than 13 years. The nature of questions should be decided on the below guidelines:
- It should be dynamic and multiple choice
- The number of questions should in plausible with sufficient MC answers
- There should be a minimum probability of selecting correct answers
- The question should be as much difficult that an underage user can’t answer accurately
Online Age Verification
This method incorporates Know Your Customer (KYC) verification to onboard only legitimate users of a particular age. In KYC the identities are verified against id documents approved by the government authorities. An AI-powered online software utilizes to conduct the online digital age verification process. The process is robust and remote and has zero manual intrusions.
Below is the procedure in which age is verified along with identity:
Information Submission: User enters his name and dob on the online form of the website.
Documents Uploading: Supported document’s image is uploaded to the website.
Data Extraction: Name and dob is extracted from the image, and age is calculated.
Verification: If the age falls in the required range, the user is allowed onboard.
Authenticity checks are performed on the document to confirm its originality. For data extraction, OCR comes into place which captures data in real-time.
Is There Any Need For Verified Age?
Below are the reasons why age verification is significant:
- To ensure the right products or services to the right customer. What if an e-tobacco store sells cigarettes to an underage customer or an online pharmacy delivers a prescription-only medicine to kids. The results can be more serious like affecting kids’ mental and physical health.
- There are some cases where kids were bullied by adults on gaming or social media platforms. The reason is these websites do not filter users by their ages. A kid can communicate with users of any age on social media. If there is an age restriction on users’ communication like the underage user will communicate to a specific age group only.
- This will help businesses in having a better market reputation and enhanced services for customers. Also, age verification will save them from lawsuits and chargebacks by parents.
As digital age verification methods are more secure and quick, businesses should opt for them to provide seamless services. The customers are more likely to choose age verified services because it provides minors’ data security. Age verification service is not much expensive and even small and large businesses can adopt it easily.