Cricket has long been one of the most popular sports in India. It is not just a game, but an important part of the culture of this country. The people of India love to attend cricket tournaments and matches. Betting is also popular and it is easy to do thanks to an overview of the best cricket betting sites.
National teams get huge support from the government and fans. Also, cricket is popular in Australia, England, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, Pakistan, and many other countries. And betters like to bet on different championships and leagues held in this sport. But have you ever wondered how many cricket tournaments there are in the world? There are, in fact, a lot of them. They are held in different countries, and many of them are even international. Today you will learn a lot of useful information about the sport and all the matches that take place in the world.
Since cricket is an international sport and of course all matches are held under the established rules. Also, the sport has a regulatory body in the form of a world board. According to the types of tournaments cricket is divided into:
- Test. This is the highest form of competition in cricket. It is attended by the best teams of national teams. Their distinctive feature is a long duration. A single match between national teams can last 5 days or 6 hours;
- With limited overs. This format was specially designed so that the match can be broadcast on TV. In this way, cricket was able to spread internationally. This form of the game also has its offshoots in the form of ODI and Twenty20.
The International Cricket Council holds all important tournaments. These can be both World Cup matches and national competitions. In addition to this organization, there are several other councils and associations in different countries, which exercise control over the territory of a particular state.
List of All Tournaments
Major cricket tournaments are held every year. They are limited to the territories of a particular country. The main objective is to identify the best team to represent at the international level. Major cricket tournaments in the world are not very often. List of competitions held:
|South Africa||CSA Provincial Twenty20, Super League Mzansi|
|Canada||CIBC National League, Global T20 Canada|
|West Indies (Caribbean Islands)||Caribbean Premier League|
|Afghanistan||Afghanistan Premier League, Spaghese Cricket League|
|Bangladesh||Bangladesh Premier League, Dhaka Premier Division Twenty20 Cricket League|
|India||Indian Premier League, Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy: Inter State T20 Championship, Tamil Nadu Premier League, T20 Mumbai League, Telangana Premier League T20, Saurashtra Premier League, Interstate T20 Women’s Championship, Indian League|
|Nepal||Everest Premier League, Dhangadhi Premier League, Expert Prime Minister Cup, Pokhara Premier League, Women’s Champions League|
|Pakistan||National T20 Cup, Pakistan Super League|
|Sri Lanka||Lanka Premier League|
|United Arab Emirates||Masters Champions League|
|England and Wales||Twenty20 Cup Vitality Blast, The Hundred, Women’s Super League Cricket|
|Netherlands||Dutch Twenty20 Cup|
|Ireland||The Interprovincial Trophy|
|Ireland, Scotland, and the Netherlands||Euro T20 Slam|
|Australia||Big Bash League, Women’s Big Bash League, National Premier Twenty20 Championships|
|New Zealand||Super Smash Twenty20, New Zealand Women’s Championship Twenty20|
These are all ongoing cricket tournaments in different countries. Each championship or league is very important and is regulated by an international board or by world-authorized organizations. Also, many tournaments are held at the global cricket level. The most important are the World Cup and the ICC World Twenty20. All cricket tournaments shown in the table are upcoming as they are held annually.
Cricket World Cup
This competition is held internationally every four years. It is organized by the International Cricket Council. It is considered one of the most prestigious tournaments for men. Each world championship is played in a large number of countries. It collects the maximum number of views online. The year 2023 will be the 13th world championship. A brief description of the previous tournaments:
- The first World Cup in 1975 was held in England. The winner was the West Indies;
- Australia has won the most gold at World Cups – 5 wins all-time;
- Tournaments were most often hosted by England. 5 championships on its territory;
- World Cup 2011 final was shown in 200 countries and watched by 2.2 billion viewers;
- World Cup 2003 matches were attended by 626,845 people;
- 1.1 million tickets were sold for the 2015 World Cup matches.
The Cricket World Cup is an interesting competition. It is attended by professionals. It is loved to watch both in the stands and online. It is the most eagerly awaited event in the sport.
ICC World Twenty20
This is a cricket championship held internationally every 2 years. The rules adopted for the ICC World Twenty20 in 2021 have expanded the number of participants in this tournament. There are now 20 teams playing in it. Previously there were 16. The teams will be divided into four groups of five participants. Characteristics of the tournaments:
- The first international T20 cricket championship was held in 2007 in South Africa. The winner then was India;
- The tournament is consistently attended by all ICC members. The remaining vacant places are taken by other teams. They qualify for the T20 World Championship;
- England has the largest number of wins in this tournament. She took first place two times;
- The venue for the next 4 ICC World Twenty20 is announced. 2024 – West Indies and USA, 2026 – India and Sri Lanka, 2028 – Australia and New Zealand, 2030 – England and Ireland.
In 2024, the U.S. will host the championship for the first time ever. In view of the fact that there are no suitable stadiums in this country, they will either be built specifically for the ICC World Twenty20 or the existing ones will be reclassified.